Helpful Hints for Pool Maintenance
Keeping pool water clear
Photo courtesy SeaKlear Pool and Spa Products
We all know the importance of keeping pool water clear. Cloudy, discoloured water is not only unsightly, it is unsafe. Avoiding it is key to good pool health and long-term enjoyment. A weekly clarifier treatment can prevent water clarity problems, as well as future algae outbreaks.
Here are some tips for ensuring clear swimming pool water:
• Maintain pool sanitizer at 1 to 3 parts per million (ppm);
• Brush and vacuum the pool weekly;
• Clean the filter regularly and backwash monthly, as well as tear down and clean the elements or media twice a year;
• Use a natural clarifier weekly at a rate of 60 ml per 45,420 l (2 oz. per 12,000 gal) to capture organic waste with the filter;
• Shock the pool every week with 450 gr (1 lb) of a chlorine-free oxidizer per 37,850 l (10,000 gal) to oxidize organic residue. This process also helps prevent the formation of odour-causing chloramines;
• Use an algae prevention and remover product according to label directions; and
• Test monthly for phosphates and use a phosphate remover at a rate of 30 ml (1 oz.) per 18,930 l (5000 gal) weekly or a pre-dosed pod at a rate of one pod per 56,780 l (15,000 gal).
For heavily used pools, add 295 ml to 350 ml per 56,780 l (10 oz. to 12 oz. per 15,000 gal) of natural clarifier. Alternatively, a clarifier pod can be introduced to the skimmer. This product delivers a concentrated dose of natural-based clarifier designed to clear cloudy pools within 24 hours.
Maintaining clear pool water is imperative for swimmer safety. Since accidents and injuries can occur below the surface, clear visibility is critical to drowning prevention and can mean the difference between life and death. Depending on the jurisdiction, proper fencing and self-latching gates are required by law. Alarms and responsible supervision are also good safety measures.
Terry Arko has more than 30 years' experience in the swimming pool and spa industry, working in service, repair, retail sales, chemical manufacturing, customer service, sales, and product development. He is also a certified pool operator (CPO) and CPO Instructor through the National Swimming Pool Foundation (NSPF). Arko is currently product specialist for SeaKlear Pool and Spa Products a subsidiary of Halosource Inc., a clean water technology company based in Bothell, Wash. He can be reached via e-mail at email@example.com.